What is involved in Service desk
Find out what the related areas are that Service desk connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Service desk thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IT Service Desk journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IT Service Desk leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Service desk related domains to cover and 143 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Service desk, IT service management, Axios Systems, Business Process Framework, Business process, Capability Maturity Model Integration, Configuration management database, Continual improvement process, Functional requirement, ISO/IEC 20000, ISO/IEC 27000, ISO 9000, IT Service Management Forum, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information security management, Information technology, Marval Software, Microsoft Operations Framework, Network and Service Management Taxonomy, Network management, Quality management, Software engineering, Systems management, United Kingdom, Workflow management system:
Service desk Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Service desk planning and shift your focus.
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification, even if our Service Desk, infrastructure management and applications management functions are located in different countries?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on ITIL principles?
– How important is Service desk to the user organizations mission?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Are You Running Your Service Desk or is Your Service Desk Running You?
– Which incidents should be logged by the service desk?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Service desk Management?
– Why a service desk?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Consult on IT service management management and assess what counts with IT service management that we are not counting.
– While you can hire consultants to help alleviate the resource crunch for the project, who gets to run them after the consultants leave?
– Can cloud service providers offer the flexibility to provide availability service levels in line with the customers requirements?
– What other departments, besides IT, use service catalog as a means of publishing their services in your organization?
– Does current usage support ongoing contract negotiations for maintenance and upgrade renewals?
– What are the key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– What are the use cases that your organization is targeting currently for its cmdb/cms?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of Change Management?
– Why are business sponsors for IT projects so important?
– What metrics will be provided and are they relevant?
– How many employees are in your company worldwide?
– What questions should be asked of a cloud service provider?
– How will changes affect the customers services?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– What is A good cloud service provider?
– What is the scope of certification?
– What is it Service Management?
– Performance supported?
– Is the Quality of Service met?
– what is next?
Axios Systems Critical Criteria:
Study Axios Systems tactics and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Axios Systems results.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Service desk with what users do day-to-day?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Service desk opportunities costing us money?
Business Process Framework Critical Criteria:
Refer to Business Process Framework decisions and budget for Business Process Framework challenges.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Service desk project?
– What is our Service desk Strategy?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Recall Business process goals and report on setting up Business process without losing ground.
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Are interruptions to business activities counteracted and critical business processes protected from the effects of major failures or disasters?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– If we accept checks what is the desired business process around supporting checks?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Service desk forward?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Service desk ?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– What would Eligible entity be asked to do to facilitate your normal business process?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How do we improve business processes and how do we deliver on that?
– What core business processes drive our industry and channel today?
– How does the solution handle core business processes?
– What is the business process?
Capability Maturity Model Integration Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Capability Maturity Model Integration outcomes and attract Capability Maturity Model Integration skills.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Service desk? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Service desk project manager?
– How do we go about Comparing Service desk approaches/solutions?
Configuration management database Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Configuration management database management and assess what counts with Configuration management database that we are not counting.
– A Configuration Management database (cmdb) can contain different configuration items (cis). Which items would not normally be regarded as a ci?
– Which of the itil processes is responsible for ensuring the organization is aware of new and changing technology?
– Are all requested changes to the configuration items assessed, processed and tracked?
– Are work control packages complete, ready for implementation, and attached?
– What elements are to be tracked and reported for baselines and changes?
– When: when do you start to place entities under configuration control?
– Which data is least likely to be used in the incident control process?
– What are direct advantages of entering into Service Level Agreements?
– In availability management terms, what do the letters cia stand for?
– When can the building, testing and implementation of a change begin?
– What is a Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Where do we stand currently against the standards?
– If yes, has the usq review been completed?
– Why is application sizing important?
– How to make it easier to sell?
– Does the change involve a usq?
– What threat is Service desk addressing?
– How does it relate to itil?
Continual improvement process Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Continual improvement process management and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Are there recognized Service desk problems?
Functional requirement Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Functional requirement leadership and explore and align the progress in Functional requirement.
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Service desk is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Service desk agendas for the next 3 years?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Service desk effort?
ISO/IEC 20000 Critical Criteria:
Gauge ISO/IEC 20000 outcomes and customize techniques for implementing ISO/IEC 20000 controls.
– Consider your own Service desk project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Service desk into the services that we provide?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Service desk, including any consulting or professional services?
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
ISO/IEC 27000 Critical Criteria:
Infer ISO/IEC 27000 adoptions and find out.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Service desk strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Service desk experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Service desk moving forward?
ISO 9000 Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate ISO 9000 failures and optimize ISO 9000 leadership as a key to advancement.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– How likely is the current Service desk plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Is there any existing Service desk governance structure?
– What are the usability implications of Service desk actions?
IT Service Management Forum Critical Criteria:
Administer IT Service Management Forum planning and report on setting up IT Service Management Forum without losing ground.
– Do those selected for the Service desk team have a good general understanding of what Service desk is all about?
– Have you identified your Service desk key performance indicators?
– How can we improve Service desk?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Audit Information Technology Infrastructure Library governance and report on the economics of relationships managing Information Technology Infrastructure Library and constraints.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Service desk goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Do we all define Service desk in the same way?
Information security management Critical Criteria:
Grade Information security management tactics and acquire concise Information security management education.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Service desk models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
– What are specific Service desk Rules to follow?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Own Information technology decisions and change contexts.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Service desk in a volatile global economy?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Service desk leader?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Marval Software Critical Criteria:
Participate in Marval Software strategies and check on ways to get started with Marval Software.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Service desk project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Think of your Service desk project. what are the main functions?
Microsoft Operations Framework Critical Criteria:
Design Microsoft Operations Framework decisions and devise Microsoft Operations Framework key steps.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Service desk?
– What are current Service desk Paradigms?
– What are our Service desk Processes?
Network and Service Management Taxonomy Critical Criteria:
Use past Network and Service Management Taxonomy projects and get answers.
– What are the key elements of your Service desk performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Network management goals and point out Network management tensions in leadership.
– When a Service desk manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Is Service desk dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Quality management Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Quality management planning and report on developing an effective Quality management strategy.
– What are the barriers to increased Service desk production?
– What is the future of Data Quality management?
– Quality management -are clients satisfied?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Grade Software engineering quality and do something to it.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– How do your measurements capture actionable Service desk information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Among the Service desk product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Does the Service desk task fit the clients priorities?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Systems management Critical Criteria:
Systematize Systems management outcomes and attract Systems management skills.
– For your Service desk project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– In what ways are Service desk vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
United Kingdom Critical Criteria:
Canvass United Kingdom adoptions and budget for United Kingdom challenges.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Service desk processes?
– How do we Lead with Service desk in Mind?
Workflow management system Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Workflow management system management and describe the risks of Workflow management system sustainability.
– Which customers cant participate in our Service desk domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Is Service desk Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– How do we Improve Service desk service perception, and satisfaction?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IT Service Desk Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Service desk External links:
Unicenter Service Desk – Login
Service Desk Home – fmPilot
IT Service Desk Software – samanage.com
http://Ad · www.samanage.com/it/service-desk
IT service management External links:
How to Improve Your IT Service Management Process: 9 …
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
Axios Systems External links:
Axios Systems (@assystNET) | Twitter
Axios SYSTEMS Inc – Herndon, VA – Computer Software Service
Axios Systems – Home | Facebook
Business Process Framework External links:
Product Documentation for Business Process Framework
Business Process Framework (eTOM) – TM Forum
BUSINESS PROCESS FRAMEWORK – Bank of America …
Business process External links:
Business Process Management Jobs – CareerBuilder
Business Process Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
What is business process? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Capability Maturity Model Integration External links:
[PDF]Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Overview
Functional requirement External links:
What is functional and non functional requirement?
[DOC]Functional Requirements Document – Maryland
What is functional and non functional requirement? – …
ISO/IEC 20000 External links:
ISO/IEC 20000 Certification | APMG-International
ISO/IEC 20000. (eBook, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
http://ISO/IEC 20000 is the first international standard for IT service management. It was developed in 2005, by ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7 and revised in 2011. It is based on and intended to supersede the earlier BS 15000 that was developed by BSI Group.
ISO/IEC 27000 External links:
ISO/IEC 27000 glossary standard – iso27001security.com
ISO/IEC 27000 legal definition of ISO/IEC 27000
ISO 9000 External links:
ISO 9000 – What Is ISO 9000? A Standards Series | ASQ
How to Become ISO 9000 Certified | Chron.com
What Is Non-Conformance for ISO 9000? | Chron.com
IT Service Management Forum External links:
itSMF Serbia – Društvo IT Service Management Forum …
IT Service Management Forum – Yell.com
itSMFnz – IT Service Management Forum Northern Branch
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
[PDF]Information Technology Infrastructure Library – ITIL®
Information security management External links:
Information Security Management Provider – Sedara
Information Security Management Company | …
Information Security Management – Corralling Mobile …
Information technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Marval Software External links:
[PDF]Marval Software Ltd. for Incident Management – The …
Marval Software – Home | Facebook
Marval Software · GitHub
Microsoft Operations Framework External links:
Microsoft Operations Framework 4.0
Microsoft Operations Framework
Microsoft Operations Framework by Felix Müller on Prezi
Network and Service Management Taxonomy External links:
Network and Service Management Taxonomy – Simpleweb
Network and service management taxonomy – revolvy.com
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Network and service management taxonomy
Network management External links:
OSPINSIGHT – Fiber Optic Network Management
Network Management Products and Solutions – Cisco
Remote Network Management | Legrand
Quality management External links:
abaqis® | Quality Management System
Quality Management – Quality Management – Dashboard
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Institute
Academy for Software Engineering / Homepage
Systems management External links:
Welcome to the Mail Systems Management Association
– Operation Processes and Systems Management …
Geographic Information Systems Management Office – …
United Kingdom External links:
Furniture & Home Furnishings | IKEA United Kingdom
Calendar for Year 2017 (United Kingdom) – Time and Date
BBC Weather – United Kingdom
Workflow management system External links:
eSchoolView Workflow Management System
Document Management & Workflow Management System …
Workflow Management System | Issuetrak