What is involved in Data recovery
Find out what the related areas are that Data recovery connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Data recovery thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Data recovery journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Data recovery leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Data recovery related domains to cover and 171 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Data recovery, Adaptation data, Anti-computer forensics, Comparison of file systems, Computer file, Computer forensics, Continuous data protection, Data archaeology, Data erasure, Data loss, Data recovery hardware, Data recovery software, Data remanence, Dd rescue, Disk partition, Electronic devices, End user, Error detection and correction, Factory reset, File carving, File deletion, File manager, File system, File system fragmentation, Flash Translation Layer, Flash memory, Gutmann method, Hard disk drive, Hard disk drive failure, Hard disk drive platter, Head crash, Hidden file and hidden directory, Live CD, Logical block addressing, Magnetic force microscope, Magnetic tape data storage, Master boot record, National Industrial Security Program, Operating system, Optical disc authoring software, Partition table, Physical information security, Printed circuit board, Read/write head, Removable media, Secondary storage, Solid-state drive, Tape drive, USB flash drive:
Data recovery Critical Criteria:
Examine Data recovery outcomes and revise understanding of Data recovery architectures.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Data recovery into the services that we provide?
– How do we measure improved Data recovery service perception, and satisfaction?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Data recovery?
– What is the most competent data recovery service in the us?
Adaptation data Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Adaptation data decisions and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Adaptation data.
– Have you identified your Data recovery key performance indicators?
– How do we go about Securing Data recovery?
– How to Secure Data recovery?
Anti-computer forensics Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Anti-computer forensics quality and overcome Anti-computer forensics skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Is Data recovery Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Who sets the Data recovery standards?
Comparison of file systems Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Comparison of file systems strategies and gather Comparison of file systems models .
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Data recovery. How do we gain traction?
– What are our needs in relation to Data recovery skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Data recovery project manager?
Computer file Critical Criteria:
Participate in Computer file planning and create a map for yourself.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Data recovery delivery for example is new software needed?
– Are all computer files backed up on a regular basis?
– Does Data recovery appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Computer forensics Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Computer forensics governance and interpret which customers can’t participate in Computer forensics because they lack skills.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Data recovery strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Consider your own Data recovery project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Are we Assessing Data recovery and Risk?
– Who needs Computer Forensics?
Continuous data protection Critical Criteria:
Derive from Continuous data protection engagements and shift your focus.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Data recovery workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– In a project to restructure Data recovery outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Data archaeology Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Data archaeology results and secure Data archaeology creativity.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Data recovery information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Data recovery Management?
Data erasure Critical Criteria:
Chart Data erasure projects and gather Data erasure models .
– Is there any existing Data recovery governance structure?
– What is our formula for success in Data recovery ?
Data loss Critical Criteria:
Generalize Data loss management and look for lots of ideas.
– You do not want to be informed of a data loss incident from the users themselves or from the data protection authority. Do you have technology that can detect breaches that have taken place; forensics available to investigate how the data was lost (or changed); and can you go back in time with full user logs and identify the incident to understand its scope and impact?
– The goal of a disaster recovery plan is to minimize the costs resulting from losses of, or damages to, the resources or capabilities of your IT facilities. The success of any database disaster recovery plan depends a great deal on being able to determine the risks associated with data loss. What is the impact to your business if the data is lost?
– Does the tool in use provide the ability for role-based administration for sub-administrators (e.g., administrators for a specific domain) to restrict access and visibility into system data and system changes (if applicable)?
– What types of transactional activities and data mining are being used and where do we see the greatest potential benefits?
– Do you have guidelines or a policy in place defining the parameters for employees working on files outside of the office?
– Are IT and executive management cognizant and being responsive to protecting organizations from data loss breaches?
– What is your company doing to take advantage of automation to improve data & information integrity?
– Do handovers take place in a quiet room off the main ENT (ear nose throat) ?
– Do we have Data Protection Service Level Agreements?
– Verbal handover reports: what skills are needed?
– Downtime and Data Loss: How Much Can You Afford?
– Who has (or can have) access to my data?
– Are Incident response plans documented?
– What are your most offensive protocols?
– Are all computers password protected?
– Do any copies need to be off-site?
– What sensitive data do you hold?
– Why Data Loss Prevention?
– What is Data Protection?
– Where is the data?
Data recovery hardware Critical Criteria:
Confer re Data recovery hardware planning and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Data recovery hardware.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Data recovery? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– How can skill-level changes improve Data recovery?
– How would one define Data recovery leadership?
Data recovery software Critical Criteria:
Think about Data recovery software quality and sort Data recovery software activities.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Data recovery process?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Data recovery leaders?
– How will you measure your Data recovery effectiveness?
Data remanence Critical Criteria:
Review Data remanence projects and explore and align the progress in Data remanence.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Data recovery strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Does Data recovery systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Data recovery opportunities costing us money?
Dd rescue Critical Criteria:
Consider Dd rescue strategies and oversee implementation of Dd rescue.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Data recovery ?
– Is Data recovery Required?
Disk partition Critical Criteria:
Adapt Disk partition tactics and display thorough understanding of the Disk partition process.
– Do Data recovery rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– What are the barriers to increased Data recovery production?
Electronic devices Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Electronic devices visions and stake your claim.
– Can we do Data recovery without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What are the long-term Data recovery goals?
– Are there Data recovery problems defined?
End user Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to End user risks and gather End user models .
– What are the key elements of your Data recovery performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Time to market improvements. Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Does the calibration lab or calibration contractor provide the end user notification of any out of tolerance conditions?
– How do the end users of cloud computing know that their information is not having any availability and security issues?
– From the end users eyes, is it possible for the change to have a major impact on services if problems occur?
– How does the vendor handle software and hardware maintenance, end user support, and maintenance agreements?
– Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Will the change have only minimal or no impact on services provided to the end users if a problem occurs?
– Will the change have only minor impact on services provided to the end users if problems occur?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Data recovery objectives?
– Is the change needed to restore immediate service to the end user?
– Will the change be visible only to a small group of end users?
– Will the change be visible to a large number of end users?
– How significant is the improvement in the eyes of the end user?
– Is the change visible to all end users?
– Can all end user classes be identified?
– Are there recognized Data recovery problems?
Error detection and correction Critical Criteria:
Frame Error detection and correction results and research ways can we become the Error detection and correction company that would put us out of business.
– Do those selected for the Data recovery team have a good general understanding of what Data recovery is all about?
– Think about the functions involved in your Data recovery project. what processes flow from these functions?
– How will you know that the Data recovery project has been successful?
Factory reset Critical Criteria:
Design Factory reset planning and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Factory reset.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Data recovery product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Data recovery?
File carving Critical Criteria:
Experiment with File carving projects and overcome File carving skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Does Data recovery create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What are the business goals Data recovery is aiming to achieve?
File deletion Critical Criteria:
Scan File deletion tasks and describe which business rules are needed as File deletion interface.
File manager Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for File manager risks and drive action.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Data recovery?
– How likely is the current Data recovery plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
File system Critical Criteria:
Graph File system strategies and get out your magnifying glass.
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
– How much does Data recovery help?
File system fragmentation Critical Criteria:
Examine File system fragmentation failures and find the ideas you already have.
– How can we improve Data recovery?
Flash Translation Layer Critical Criteria:
Recall Flash Translation Layer planning and budget for Flash Translation Layer challenges.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Data recovery processes?
Flash memory Critical Criteria:
Coach on Flash memory projects and pay attention to the small things.
– When a Data recovery manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Does our organization need more Data recovery education?
Gutmann method Critical Criteria:
Understand Gutmann method leadership and triple focus on important concepts of Gutmann method relationship management.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Data recovery move?
Hard disk drive Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Hard disk drive tactics and get going.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Data recovery project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Is maximizing Data recovery protection the same as minimizing Data recovery loss?
Hard disk drive failure Critical Criteria:
Consider Hard disk drive failure strategies and probe the present value of growth of Hard disk drive failure.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Data recovery experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Data recovery agendas for the next 3 years?
– How do we keep improving Data recovery?
Hard disk drive platter Critical Criteria:
Discuss Hard disk drive platter engagements and find answers.
Head crash Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Head crash tasks and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Head crash services.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Data recovery that make it risky?
– Is a Data recovery Team Work effort in place?
Hidden file and hidden directory Critical Criteria:
Test Hidden file and hidden directory governance and overcome Hidden file and hidden directory skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Is there a Data recovery Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How do we go about Comparing Data recovery approaches/solutions?
Live CD Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Live CD engagements and work towards be a leading Live CD expert.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Data recovery process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Data recovery process available?
– How can you measure Data recovery in a systematic way?
Logical block addressing Critical Criteria:
Recall Logical block addressing projects and display thorough understanding of the Logical block addressing process.
– Is the Data recovery organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Who will provide the final approval of Data recovery deliverables?
Magnetic force microscope Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Magnetic force microscope management and describe the risks of Magnetic force microscope sustainability.
– Among the Data recovery product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Data recovery?
Magnetic tape data storage Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Magnetic tape data storage tasks and adjust implementation of Magnetic tape data storage.
– What is the purpose of Data recovery in relation to the mission?
Master boot record Critical Criteria:
Rank Master boot record strategies and overcome Master boot record skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Will Data recovery have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
National Industrial Security Program Critical Criteria:
Substantiate National Industrial Security Program failures and question.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Data recovery strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Is the scope of Data recovery defined?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Operating system risks and stake your claim.
– Think about the people you identified for your Data recovery project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
Optical disc authoring software Critical Criteria:
Administer Optical disc authoring software strategies and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Data recovery processes of our organization?
Partition table Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Partition table visions and assess and formulate effective operational and Partition table strategies.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Data recovery in a volatile global economy?
Physical information security Critical Criteria:
Chart Physical information security tasks and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Physical information security results.
– Which customers cant participate in our Data recovery domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
Printed circuit board Critical Criteria:
Gauge Printed circuit board issues and test out new things.
– How do we manage Data recovery Knowledge Management (KM)?
Read/write head Critical Criteria:
Participate in Read/write head failures and pay attention to the small things.
Removable media Critical Criteria:
Confer over Removable media quality and find the ideas you already have.
– Is removable media protected and its use restricted according to your organizations policies?
Secondary storage Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Secondary storage quality and raise human resource and employment practices for Secondary storage.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Data recovery leader?
– How do we Identify specific Data recovery investment and emerging trends?
Solid-state drive Critical Criteria:
Participate in Solid-state drive issues and finalize specific methods for Solid-state drive acceptance.
– How important is Data recovery to the user organizations mission?
Tape drive Critical Criteria:
Check Tape drive planning and report on the economics of relationships managing Tape drive and constraints.
– What are specific Data recovery Rules to follow?
USB flash drive Critical Criteria:
Value USB flash drive outcomes and look for lots of ideas.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Data recovery goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What threat is Data recovery addressing?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Data recovery Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Data recovery External links:
Data Recovery Software | Seagate
Data recovery – support.microsoft.com
Seagate Backup Plus 2TB Portable Hard Drive with Rescue Data Recovery Services Drag and Drop File Saving Right out of the Box …
Adaptation data External links:
Climate Adaptation Data Catalog | California Climate …
[PDF]A New Home for Northern Adaptation Data
Great Lakes Adaptation Data Suite (GLADS) | GLISA
Anti-computer forensics External links:
[PDF]Anti-computer forensics – docs.mipro …
Anti-computer forensics – IEEE Conference Publication
Anti-Computer Forensics.wmv – YouTube
Computer file External links:
How do I create a computer file?
How to view a computer file extension
What Is a File? (Computer File Definition) – Lifewire
Computer forensics External links:
Computer forensics – quiz 5 Flashcards | Quizlet
Computer forensics – quiz 2 Flashcards | Quizlet
22 Popular Computer Forensics Tools [Updated for 2018]
Continuous data protection External links:
About Us | R1Soft Continuous Data Protection
Continuous Data Protection (CDP) – Gartner IT Glossary
DiskAgent – CONTINUOUS DATA PROTECTION FOR …
Data archaeology External links:
data archaeology | Rescuing Historical UK Sea Level Data
http://Data archaeology refers to the art and science of recovering computer data encoded and/or encrypted in now obsolete media or formats. Data archaeology can also refer to recovering information from damaged electronic formats after natural or man made disasters.
Data erasure External links:
Complete Data Removal, Data Erasure Software – Blancco
Data Erasure Solutions | Ontrack
Enterprise Data Erasure
Data loss External links:
How to Use Data Loss Prevention in Office 365 | SherWeb
Data Loss Prevention & Protection | Symantec
Data recovery hardware External links:
Dolphin Data Lab: HDD Repair & Data Recovery Hardware …
Data Recovery Hardware | Data Recovery Equipment – YouTube
Data Recovery Hardware Products DFL-DE:Installation – …
Data recovery software External links:
Data Recovery Software | Seagate
The Best Data Recovery Software | MiniTool Power Data Recovery
Best Android Data Recovery Software in 2017 for Windows …
Data remanence External links:
[PDF]ADS 545mak, Data Remanence Procedures
Data Remanence (CISSP Free by Skillset.com) – YouTube
Dd rescue External links:
A.C.B.A. – X-Force Mission Log: DD Rescue – YouTube
Disk partition External links:
What is a Partition? (Disk Partition Definition) – Lifewire
Disk partitioning. Disk partitioning or disk slicing is the creation of one or more regions on a hard disk or other secondary storage, so that an operating system can manage information in each region separately.
10 Free Disk Partition Software Tools (February 2018)
Electronic devices External links:
Amtrak crash: Crew not seen using electronic devices, …
How TV, Internet, and Other Electronic Devices Impact Sleep
[PDF]Portable Electronic Devices in Sensitive …
End user External links:
End User Monitoring (EUM) | Product | AppDynamics
[PDF]AP-197 Dyed Diesel Fuel End User Signed Statement …
Factory reset External links:
Android TV Box Factory Reset – YouTube
Consumers – SBG6580: Factory Reset
File carving External links:
Forensic File Carving – NIST
Forensic Images for File Carving – The CFReDS Project
File Carving – InfoSec Institute – InfoSec Resources
File deletion External links:
5 of the best file deletion software for Windows 10
File Deletion – Free Download File Deletion Software
File Deletion – enterprise – Mitre Corporation
File manager External links:
APK File Manager download | SourceForge.net
http://sourceforge.net › Browse › Other/Nonlisted Topic
Feb 08, 2018 · ES File Explorer (File Manager) is a full-featured file (Images, Music, Movies, Documents, app) manager for both local and networked use! With over 500 million users worldwide, ES File Explorer (File Manager) helps manage your android phone and files efficiently and effectively and share files without data cost. File …
Web File Manager – Gittings Portraiture
File system External links:
Description of the FAT32 File System – support.microsoft.com
B-File System – Official Site
Node.js File System Module – W3Schools
File system fragmentation External links:
File system fragmentation – YouTube
Flash Translation Layer External links:
FTL | NAND Flash Translation Layer , Flash File System
FTL | Flash Translation Layer, NAND FTL, Flash File System
[PDF]DFTL: A Flash Translation Layer Employing Demand …
Flash memory External links:
Flash Memory Cards – Best Micro SD Card and TF Memory …
Serial NOR Flash Memory | Cypress Semiconductor
What Is Flash Memory ? (with pictures) – wiseGEEK
Gutmann method External links:
Gutmann method Archives – East-Tec
What is the Gutmann Method? (Data Sanitization Method)
Tag: gutmann method – St. Ignatius College Prep Tech Blog
Hard disk drive External links:
WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive – …
Free 2-day shipping. Buy WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive – 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch – WD1003FZEX at Walmart.com
Hard disk drive platter External links:
Melting Hard Disk Drive Platter – YouTube
Hard disk drive platter – WOW.com
Head crash External links:
Hilton Head crash victims identified | Island Packet
Head Crash – ACS Data Recovery
Hidden file and hidden directory External links:
About: Hidden file and hidden directory – DBpedia
Hidden file and hidden directory – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Hidden file and hidden directory
“Hidden file and hidden directory” on Revolvy.com
https://broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Hidden file and hidden directory
Live CD External links:
Windows 7 Live Cd From Usb – Internet Archive
Why you want a Linux Live CD – CNET
SOR Live CD Release Party – kalb.com
Logical block addressing External links:
Logical block addressing – YouTube
Data Storage – Logical Block Addressing (LBA) …
Logical Block Addressing – DEW Assoc
Magnetic tape data storage External links:
Mgtape.com: Magnetic Tape Data Storage Solutions
Master boot record External links:
How to repair the Master Boot Record (MBR) on Windows 10
[PDF]Master Boot Record Save/Restore BIOS Feature for …
Restore, Fix, Repair Master Boot Record (MBR) in Windows
National Industrial Security Program External links:
[PDF]NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL SECURITY PROGRAM
National Industrial Security Program | National Archives
NISPOM – National Industrial Security Program Operation Manual
Operating system External links:
Find Out Which Operating System Is on My Computer …
Which Windows operating system am I running?
nCino Bank Operating System
Optical disc authoring software External links:
List of optical disc authoring software – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/List of optical disc authoring software
Partition table External links:
What is GPT (GUID Partition Table)? – Computer Hope
Physical information security External links:
Physical Information Security (06:02) – youtube.com
Physical Information Security | Curious.com
What Is Physical Information Security? (with picture)
Printed circuit board External links:
[PDF]Building a Printed Circuit Board
Printed Circuit Board Supplier & Manufacturer | PCB …
Printed Circuit Board Manufacturer PCB | Gorilla Circuits
Read/write head External links:
Read/Write Head HF/UHF – TURCK
read/write head – Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com
[PDF]Read/write head IVH-FP3 – alliedelec.com
Removable media External links:
Chapter 13 Removable Media Flashcards | Quizlet
Removable media and mobile computing devices have …
Secondary storage External links:
Secondary storage – IKEA News – IKEA
What is secondary storage? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Ch.7 Secondary Storage Flashcards | Quizlet
Tape drive External links:
[PDF]HP LTO Ultrium 5 tape drive technical reference …
USB flash drive External links:
How much data can you fit on a USB Flash Drive? – Capacity
1TB USB Flash Drive | eBay